If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for What Were You Thinking?

OK, now that I'm all caught up with my posts and am on schedule I give you today's letter.

The letter N.  We are over half way through with the challenge of posting every day of the month except Sunday's coinciding with the letters in the alphabet.

Here we go...

If you've been around my blog long enough you know that I like to stay busy.  Sometimes too busy.  OK most of the time, too busy.

My current project load is as follows:


  • Finish installing the last two windows in the house.
  • Sharpen blades on the mower and put the mowing deck back on the mower.
  • Finish cleaning the front yard lawn.
  • Roll the lawn.
  • Install closet organizer in closet (did that last night)
  • Finish the laundry room remodel.
  • Spray for weeds in outer flower beds
  • Install mulch in beds around the house.
  • Clean out the garden of last year's debris.
  • Roto-till and ready garden for this year's crops
  • Stain the pergola I installed last year
  • Clean the garage
  • Repair gutters
This is just  a few of the things off the top of my head.
Not only do those things need to be done but I want to spend most of my time with my new baby.
Unfortunately for me, I have come down with a head cold/sinus infection and I have to stay away from her for the most part.  I did pick up some surgical masks for when I have to hold her but I'm just trying to keep my distance for now.  It sucks.

So what does this have to do with anything?  Well, because I just don't have much to do I went ahead and accepted a new job offer.  Same company, different product line.

I have been building fire trucks for 9 years now with my company.  I love building fire trucks and I really like the people I work with.  It has been a great learning experience.

However, my current job position is Team Leader.  Pretty much what we used to call a foreman back in my day.  I lead a small group of people in the day to day activities of building fire trucks.  They build the trucks and I take care of any issues that may arise.  Anything from an engineering issue to someone calling in sick and I fill in for them.  I basically try to make sure they have everything they need to do their job.

The next level up for me would be a supervisor.  The supervisor manages all of the people on the floor.  They are responsible for anything and everything that goes on during a regular production day.
In my division, there is just nothing available right now or in the foreseeable future for me in this type of role so when the position opened up on a different product line, I put in for it.

Spartan Motors had many product lines.  We build fire trucks, RV chassis, bus chassis, military vehicles, N-gas cab and chassis and we also build a product called The Reach.  The Reach is a special type of delivery vehicle.  You have seen their counterparts in the field every day.  These trucks are specifically designed for companies like Fed-Ex, Frito Lay, Pepsi, UPS and the like.

So my role will be as a supervisor in the Reach plant.  I will supervise half of the plant (about 50 people or so) and we will be building mainly Fed-Ex trucks right now.

Fed-Ex Reach

This will come with some serious responsibilities and also some serious hours.  I will be working all the time.  I believe most of the summer will be spent working six days a week, ten to twelve hours a day.

So that list up there?  I have about 10-14 days to get it all done.

So what does this have to do with the letter N you ask?

Never finished.
New job
Nutty as a Fruitcake






5 comments:

  1. You're a glutton for punishment.
    Well, you can't go near your daughter much right now. And it's the weekend. Buckle down and get as much of that done as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating the type of work you do! Thanks for explaining it. Congrats on the new job with it! Does sound like a grueling position though with the work schedule but will probably pay off down the line. What a list of projects to accomplish! Do remember to take time to breathe! Hope you feel better soon! Rotten timing to get a cold with a newborn!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busy time of year and never enough time to get it all done.
    Congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roll the lawn?
    Does it owe you money?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, stay very busy. I don't understand those who ever get bored.

    It is wonderful you have bees. We lost ours but have a few wild ones.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment here please.