If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

What does the New Year mean to you? Part 1

Back when I was 20, thirty seemed so far away.  When I was thirty, 40 seemed so far away.
Now that I'm forty, I see death right around the corner.
What kind of bullshit is that?
Why can't I see fifty?  Why now do I feel rushed?

I've taken the plunge over the cliff.  Perhaps a midlife crisis (which means I'm going to live to be 80)
but a mild one.  I have no plans of having an affair or dying my hair (even though there is almost more silver, grey and white than black).
I probably won't go out and buy a motorcycle or a boat and start shaving my chest.  (In reality a few plucks would do the job anyways)

I most likely will not hit the gym.  I'm more prone to hit the Jim anyways.  Splashed over the rocks with a shot of cola.



Why even yesterday I found a lump on my chocolate lab Gunner.  He's even getting old.  He has little white hairs on his chin just like me.

My yellow dog, Remmi is also showing signs of aging as he is headed to the vet at the end of January to get "Tutored".



With middle age comes a bit of acceptance.  Some major ones I notice are:
I can't be as physical as I used to be.  My body aches for two days after only one day of wood cutting.
I can no longer stay up all night partying and drinking without paying severe consequences the next day.
A bucket of fried chicken leaves me with guilt in my eyes and a notice of a cholesterol screening from my Doctor. 




Of course with the lovely age of 40 also comes the dreaded Dr. visit that all men cringe about.


After a little bit of counseling I was fine.  I haven't cried in a long time.

So in attempt to regain part of my former robust exuberance I have decided not to wallow in my superannuated state but to relish all that it brings.

With that being said here is a list of things that I plan on changing.

I will not over work myself (yeah right)
I will cut down on fried foods  (am I dead yet?)
I will enjoy more time with my family  (they might not enjoy it)
I will start my empty nester life (close enough)
I will go to lots of places I haven't been (no, not church...are you crazy?)
There are lots of other things but you get the point.
My favorite one of all is I'm going to start prepping for grandkids.

Grandkids you ask?

I know.  Neither one of my kids even has a boyfriend/girlfriend but nonetheless the preparations must begin.

First thing we need is a retreat.  I've been talking about it for awhile now.  Pulling the trigger.
I figure by the time one of my kids gets married and has a baby and the child is old enough to head north with his Grandpa I will be ready.


Let's hope I'm still around!

So here is the precursor to my new years resolutions or whatever you want to call them.
I will finish this post off in the new year.
I need to get out the door as I have to meet a guy about cutting some firewood.
Then I have to come home and smoke 20 lbs of summer sausage and then I have to clean the chimney and then I have to split some wood and then I have to....what?
It's not the new year yet.  I have two more days!

Old age is like wine,
The older it gets...

Oh who am I kidding!

Beer me please.
Cheers,
-Bushman



1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to Part 2. As to Part 1 - jeez, you've got a lot to do before putting the "Done and Filed" stamp on 2014.

    I'm having a little chuckle 'cause I've got a list too - damn if I'll share it thought and get caught out. No… if the back room doesn't get emptied and my studio doesn't get its pre New Year wipe down no one will be the wiser. (I know I certainly won't be.)

    Good luck with the wood cutting - glad it's all happening a little closer to home. Which means it's a little closer to the beer!

    Happy New Year, Bushman!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment here please.