If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Today's Post is Brought to you by the Letter D

Well we've made it to D.  I haven't caved in yet.  I spend more time reading all your blogs and commenting than I do posting my own blog.  It's fun to read all the different blogs.  I just close my eyes, scroll the mouse and click.
There is a special meaning in the letter D for me.  It is my best friend.  It knows my weakness, my sorrows and my strengths.
We have spent many hours together, either working, hunting, fishing, even singing oldies on the radio as we remodeled houses together.  An ice cold can of A&W or Hires root-beer sitting on the counter.
I remember our ice fishing trips out on the lake behind the abandoned Sea Ray Boats plant.   We had custom built buckets that held a lantern in front.  We had cut a window in the tin tube so it would shine light on our hole. The top was open and I can remember the warm currents of air that waft into my face and thaw my nose-sickles.
Hollering "fish on" every time we would get a bite.  (If the fish weren't biting I was told I wasn't holding my mouth right.)
I remember the night we sat at the Oyster bar in Sarasota Florida and we ate something to the tune of 22 dozen oysters and clams and that was after a 30oz prime rib dinner with all the trimmings.

Deer camp when I shot my first buck.  I had rolled his head into the snow so you couldn't see the antlers and when he arrived I surprised him.  I was rewarded with a huge smile, a hug and a face full of snow.
Skipping work to chase walleyes down on Lake Erie, stopping for a cold beer after a hard days work, riding quads down the two tracks of Northern Michigan and stopping in a cold, spring fed creek to wash up before heading back to camp.
Chasing after Elk in the mountains of Montana, stalking Caribou in the tundra of Quebec.  Monster Mule Deer in the canyons of Wyoming and wiley Pronghorn Antelope on the plains.
He was there for my first car, my first girlfriend (and when she dumped me) my first beer, my first business.

There are so many things to list and I hope that list continues for a very long time.  I have become the person I am because of the person you are.  I love you, my best friend, my mentor, my cohort.......
My DAD.



13 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm diggin' blog hopping too. Love the sunset pic at the top. Just beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I were kind of on the same page for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are so great. And every time you talk about Deer Camp, all I can picture is Daryl from Walking Dead. That's who you remind me of. So from now on you're Daryl to me. lol.

    Great tribute to your bestfriend and dad. Dad's are pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Son,My best friend words cannot describe what you mean to me. Memories of our past is what keeps me going without you by my side. Love and miss you terribly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of all my siblings, I have the closest relationship with my dad. I even think I might be emotionally closer to him that my mom.

    He had a small health scare nine months back (a persistent fever with no cause or explanation--we thought it might be cancer) and thankfully it cleared up.

    Cherish the ones you love, because there's no telling how long they'll be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe this is such a sweet post! Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    I'm being more methodical in my visits: hitting 40 blogs a day from my blog to the next 1000. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, your post is so heart warming. It's not often you hear a son speak so emotional about his Dad.

    Stopping in via the A-Z blogging challenge.

    Bev @ Blue Velvet Vincent

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post. You made me want to call my dad up now!

    Looking forward to seeing what you do all month!

    Tim
    The Other Side
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to write a typically snarky comment, but decided against it. All I want to write instead is: you're a lucky man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so nice that you're close with your dad. You are both lucky to have each other. For such a funny guy, you've gotten me all choked up two days in a row. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honouring your dad like that is brilliant. Great D DAY

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude, that is awesome! It must be fantastic to have a dad that is with you every step of the way through life, the good and the bad.

    How in the hell did you guys eat so much at once in Sarasota? Were you feeding the animals at the Ringling Brothers museum on the cool?

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment here please.