If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Busy, busy, busy.

First off I must apologize for my lackluster blogging of late.  I have been consumed with so many things that when I sit down at the computer I tend to fall asleep.
I'm not terribly worried about it but just thought I would fill you in on the details.

For instance this morning I have been browsing the web for coupons.  I will be going grocery shopping this morning for deer camp stock.  I have to feed 4 people for 10 days.
Where we go is quite secluded and you just don't run to the store if you forget something.  So I sit here and plan every menu to infinite detail.  Right down to how many napkins I need as well as salt and pepper and slices of cheese.  There is only so much room and so many pounds that the truck and camper can carry.  Excess baggage or groceries do not make the list.

Here is a snippet of the list I have made just for breakfast.

66 eggs, 8 lbs of frozen hash browns, 24 sausage links, 32 sausage patties, 1 pound of bacon,16 slices of Canadian bacon, 24 slices of cheese, 24 English Muffins, 2 gallons of orange juice, 1 loaf of bread, 1 tub of butter, 1 bottle of syrup, 1 gallon of milk, 16 biscuits, 4 pouches of sausage gravy mix, salt, pepper, plates, napkins, forks, knives.

Now imagine a list for lunches and dinners as well.

Now imagine all the pots, pans, utensils, blankets, sheets, sleeping bags, clothes, axes, chainsaws, water jugs, coffee pot, lanterns, propane, tarps, crapper, hand warmers, tree stands, shovel, rake, awning, tent stakes, fire cooking grates, back packs, bows, guns, ammunition, hats, gloves, boots...

The list is practically endless.  It takes a lot of time to prep for this event.  Every free minute I have I am immersed in it.  

Unfortunately two members of the hunting party reside in Florida and are unable to assist.  The third, my step son, works and goes to college and when not doing that has several sports he is involved in.  He has no time either.
On the flip side, fortunately, I have no life.  Nuff said!

Here it is on the eve of November.  It is cold and breezy outside.  The rain comes and goes.  Forecast is calling for a slight accumulation of wet slushy snow tonight.  The poor trick or treaters can never seem to catch a break.

Luckily for me most of the leaves have fallen off the trees.  Last night after work I had just enough time and gasoline to get the lawn cleared of leaves and mowed.  Hopefully that is the last time.

I try to get the leaves cleaned up at least once a week so I don't have to spend so much time at the end of the leaf season doing it.

After a years worth of searching I finally found a cap for my truck.  Well, there were others but this one was affordable.  The truck is a 2011 model year so it has been tough finding a used cap that would fit.  Being only a few years old most people that have a cap still have them on their original vehicle.  My diligence paid off.  Even though I had to drive a distance to get it, it was well worth it.


This is a welcome addition to deer camp as well as winter time driving.  I get so tired of having snow in the back of the truck.  It blows around and covers up the back window.  You can't put anything in the bed either.

So anyways you have my story.  Or excuse whichever you choose.  I will return to regular blogging upon my return.  Dad and Jr fly in on the 7th of November and we depart for camp before sunrise on the 8th.  They fly back out on the 19th so we have to be back by then.

It is going to be a great time.  It will be very crowded in my little camper with 4 people but we'll manage somehow.  I can't wait until the day arrives when I buy a piece of land up there and begin building my own little hunting cottage.

Signing off for now,
-Bushman

1 comment:

  1. OMG - what a list. You deserve a medal for prepping all the supplies. I hope your Florida team brings you some seriously excellent stogies for this trip.
    I know you'll have fun once you get there - that's if you live through all the "getting ready" stuff! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comment here please.